02 November 2017

Sound

I want to talk about sound.

Riding in the car listening to the talking heads on the radio, the music, the commercials and then shutting the music off. Then recognizing and appreciating the beautiful silence. That moment is such a soothing sensation. Then I notice the sound of wind passing by. My mind wanders to the sound of my kids around the house. Arguing, playing or watching TV. What a soothing sound that is to me. The contrast being when the sound of my children is not there. Because I only have my children half the time, I know and dread a dead silence around the house when there is the lack of their sound. It is an incredible thing to realize blessings. I could have had a worse custody arrangement and only been able to see my kids every other weekend like so many dad's. I can't imagine it. That would very likely have killed me. I miss the sound of them there constantly. I recall it being taxing, looking for a quiet break every now and again. Now, oh how much I long for their sound. In the early parts of the divorce, how much I despised even the thought of not seeing my kids every day. It doesn't get any easier but I have become used to it.

So many sounds. The sound of cars rushing by. The sound of a jet passing overhead. The sound of music playing. Then the sound of a really good song I love, then listening to it again.

The sound of being out in the wilderness, on a mountain looking out over a huge expanse. The effort it took to get there instantly fades. I lie down in the tall grass among the flowers of the field and feel the heat of the sun warming my face. Covering my body like a warm blanket. The wind passing by as it ruffles my clothes. Hearing the leaves rustle and the sound they make as sudden swells of air rush through the tree's nearby. Then as the wind dies down, I enjoy the silence and eventually notice the sound of my heart beating. After a few minutes, the thoughts in my head seem to become audible as the only thing for my mind to focus on. The thoughts begin to take shape as I imagine the objects around me and the sound they can make. I can begin to make out the silent roar of the earth turning. In this moment, I am at peace.

So many sounds to appreciate.

The crickets chirping at night and the birds during the day. The sound a waterfall makes as the water crashes down and the mist as it dissipates and cools the air. The soothing constant roar of a rushing river. The trickle of a nearby stream. The silent sound of a snow storm, as the falling snow muffles the typical ambient sound. Hearing only my footsteps as the snow crunches under my feet. The sound of the rain outside my window or on the rooftop. The crackling sound of a fire. Soaking in its heat and listening to the sound of the turning pages of a good book.

I challenge myself to listen to the sounds around me at different times. Appreciate them for what they are. Noisy times, silent times, happy times and even sad ones. For it is through these moments of realization that blessings appear out of thin air.

No comments:

Post a Comment