27 October 2017

20 years ago today - Least Favorite Comp - 27 Oct 1997

Hey,
I got a new comp. His name is Brian Russel, he is an air force brat. He's lived all over the place, Montana, Colorado, Germany etc. I think he's a putts. His entire focus seems on numbers and pleasing President Wright. He makes me miss my old comp really bad. Schwarts was SO much cooler. With Schwarts, I could listen to music on the awesome stereo we rigged up. The landlord has an old record player with huge speakers. I got it out to see if I could rig it up to play from my headset. It turns out a previous Missionary already rigged it. Haha! Anyhow, Elder Schwarts went to serve in the office. Poor sap. The first thing E. Russell told me was that he has a testimony of the missionary guide. What a dork! But I'm learning to adapt to having a puttsie comp.

Okay, so today an awesome thing just happened. We got hot water! I haven't had that for over two months in this appartment. Without that, the water feels colder than ice. I'd swear they put some kind of antifreeze in the water. I just took a hot bath, It felt awesome!

My investigator Volodia told me Sunday that he knows the church is true and that he has a testimony of Joseph Smith and the book of mormon. At least that is what I think he said. He told me in Russian and that's is all that I could understand of what he said. I'm going to give him the D&C to read. I hope to be able to see him be baptised. That would be awesome. I feel so much joy because of him. He listens to what we say and really takes it in and ponders it. He even takes notes in church, writes down every scripture reference he hears. Everything's going cool. I'm so happy. Well, everything except my new comp. But I will learn to adapt or go insane.

It's starting to get cold, winter is coming. I hope we get heat in the apartment before too long.

I miss my family. I was on a bus today and saw a little girl that reminded me of niece Sammy. I miss her so much. Then I started reminiscing. I miss movies and popcorn. Hanging out with Thegn and just basically all the little joys of America and non-missionary life.
Okay, it's really late and I'm tired.

Spokonya Noche!

Woodbury

PS:
It's so cold in the apartment.

Alyosha, Volodia, myself and Igor goofing off. 

Igor, Lena and I in the art gallery we rented out for church meetings.

Voronezh Holiday

People dancing in the street.

A Russian Orthodox temple.

Missionaries and members enjoying the local holiday.

The watering hole we would visit weekly with the members. We would also have baptisms here.

Schwarts, Volodia and I.

A pro-communist rally held in the city square where there is a statue of Vladimir Lennon. The way I understand it, every city has a similar square and statue.

Volodia and I goofing off... again.

Selfie

Schwatrs, Volodia and I.

Halloween with Igor and Zhenia.
I didn't have a costume for Halloween but industrial strength toilet paper saves the day! A mummy it is. I ran out as my digestive system was still adapting to the local cuisine.


We taught English classes for service twice a week. It was my goal to help people, part of that was to have fun and help others to do the same. 


No comments:

Post a Comment