17 January 2018

20 years ago today - Transfer to Moscow - 17 Jan 1998

I was very sad to receive the news I'd be leaving Voronezh. I felt this was going to be the highlight of my experience in Russia. Early on, it was coined the Disneyland of the mission. It turned out to be so very true. I love the members there and when I speak Russian (which is rare anymore) I notice the influence Voronezh had on my Russian accent. In fact, towards the end of my mission, when contacting people on the street. People rarely believed me when I said I was an American. They frequently assumed I was from a former Russian state from before the soviet union was dissolved.

Jan 17th 1998
Today is my third day with Elder Pabst. He Rocks! He is from East Germany. He grew up on the communist ruled side, before the wall fell. He's not bitter about it at all. (sarcasm)
I was transferred to Moscow. It sucks here compared to Voronezh. My last day in Voronezh, we did one of my favorite activities. We went ice skating. It was a very fun day, except for the part where I was helping my best missionary friend ice skate. I was skating backwards helping him skate and turned for a second to look where I was going. When I turned back he was lying on the ice with a pool of blood growing under him. He had hit his head falling on the ice and had to get stitches. Oops! I will really miss the Voronozh members. So many of them gave me their address and want me to write. I hate writing. I seldom write in this journal. I struggle writing letters home as well. I suppose I can work on it.

I have been sick lately. I've got shiz and I just don't feel well. We ate at the starlight diner my first day here in Moscow. then we went over to Elder Ungritches apartment and played monopoly. I was disappointed that I lost first. Pabst thinks he won. :-P

Jan 18th 1998
Today Elder Pabst and I went to church then came home and played pick-up-sticks and then Risk. He kicked my butt all over. I miss Voronezh. Today in church I was exceptionally sad. I missed Voronezh. I didn't enjoy it almost exclusively because I wasn't in Voronezh. There were 11 missionaries in attendance and only about that many members. Activity sucks here. I'm bored.
Bye.

Volodia and his family.

Sister K and her daughter, Zhenya. Thanks for washing all of our shirts!

My Christmas wall decorations.

Dinner at Sister Kuznitsova's was always a treat. She took such good care of us.

Shenanigans

Igor and Kolya.

Pictures in front of the Christmas tree were fun.

Alex had so many good questions. I was constantly in the bible dictionary and topical guide looking up answers to his questions. So much so, I bought him his own triple combo using the money my Mom had sent me with. So many of the members here were so poor, I ended up using almost all of the money she sent me with for things like this. A new iron for Sister K, She had been using an old stove top iron, to iron our shirts. Igor was living with his divorced mother at the time and was using shoes that were so worn his feet got wet when it was wet out. Towards the end of my mission, I donated my suits and shirts to another member that was going on a mission. I came back with the clothes on my back.

This was one of my favorite ways to get a picture of everyone.

Ilya was my favorite kid in the branch. Such a good kid!

I had made it my goal to make people laugh. The Mongolian Sisters were a fun target for this.

The branch president at the time, posing as Father Frost (Santa) for the branch kids.
Father Frost, the Ice Princess and the branch kids visiting "Santa".

A few of the many members and missionaries that came to see me off at the train station. No, those aren't ghostly apparitions, It was so cold your breathe stayed visible in the air for quite some time.

I still feel guilt about Elder Spruels injury. 

Sad Selfie. Leaving Voronezh.
I'd never felt more myself, than I had at this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment