26 November 2017

20 years ago today - Thanksgiving, an American Holiday - 27 Nov 1997

Journal entry 27 Nov 1997:

Today was thanksgiving. It also happens to be my Dad's birthday. He's getting so old!

Today the ILP (International language Program) students prepared a Thanksgiving feast for the local members and missionaries here in Voronezh. It was hosted in the children's school where they teach. As much as I appreciate exploring the rich culture and new food, I was really looking forward to the American made food because I miss home. The holidays seem to be when I get most nostalgic. I miss My niece Sammy, I miss my brother-in-laws and their families. I miss my sisters, my Dad, the wise's, my Mom and The Jensen's. I would typically visit all their different homes and usually eat no less than three Thanksgiving meals. I would prepare myself the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving by expanding my stomach with other food. Then the day before, I would eat very minimal so I would have enough space in my gut for all the glorious food. And oh the pie! IT's my favorite. I have a strategy when it comes to pie. I take little slivers of all the ones that look the best, just to get a taste to see which ones I want to go back for full slices. I dare say, this is my favorite holiday!

The ILP students dinner didn't disappoint. There were so many people. I really enjoyed all the food. They succeeded, it reminded me of home! I think I may have overdone it a little though, I ate until I couldn't move. In fact, I had to lay on my side for about half an hour until I could finally get up to go shiz.

I really enjoy the time we spend with the members here in Voronezh. We always do activities with them. During the summer we would go out to the river and enjoy a picnic and play games. So many of them attend our English classes. Family home evenings are always a treat. Lately we have been going ice skating and I love it so much! While we were all eating, I sat on the floor across the table from some member girls. We were talking and joking the entire time. An interesting part that stuck out to me was when I asked one of them, What do you want? and she replied, What I want, you aren't allowed. (Which happens to rhyme in Russian.) I was just like, Okaay. and laughed it off. There is an unspoken feel here, that there are so many cute young girls in the branch simply because they want to marry a missionary and go to America. There is actually a track record of this so far. I'm not going to lie, it is a little disappointing, wondering how many of them are actually converted to the gospel or if they are just in it for a green card. Either way, it makes it a fun place to serve. The attention and involvement has provided a great first experience.

That was my Thanksgiving this year. It was pretty cool!

Hugs and kisses,
Tony

The entire group that was there for the Thanksgiving meal. 

My comp thought it funny to take a picture of me in my vulnerable state. 


No comments:

Post a Comment