13 October 2017

20 Years ago today - A day in the life of a missionary - 13 October 2017

13 Oct 2017
It's 6:20 PM on the new watch and guess what just happened? A wonderful experience. Okay, my comp, Volodia and I were on the bus on our way back home when a cute girl came up and stood next to me, and on Voronezh buses, you are packed in like sardines, so its not like you can avoid contact with other people. But this girl was unusually close and she wasn't bad looking. She stuck her chest fetching deep into my arm and stared at me almost the entire time. My comp was standing right next to me as was the member Volodia. She was so close and MAN! If I wasn't a missionary! Anyhow, I wanted to share that experience. Then when we got off the bus she stared at me as we walked away. Whoa! It was fun to get that attention but it's really distracting. Anyhow, gotta go tracting now. Gotta think good thoughts, like religious thoughts, spiritual thoughts, because it's so easy to get distracted. The girls here dress so fetching scantily and wear lots of makeup and it makes them look very good. Also there are nudy stickers everywhere. As a missionary, what do I do?! Gotta go work.
See ya!

Here I am again, same day four and a half hours later, it's 11pm. This day has been wonderful. We went tracting and we went into a building and on the last stairwell, I went in well ahead of Schwartz and Volodia. It was pitch black inside, I climbed the stairs to the second floor when I saw the shadow of what looked like a vampire coffin. I shined my laser on it so I could see what it was, only to find out it was the lid to a coffin, it had the Russian orthodox cross on it. I got scared and ran out of the stairwell. When I asked Volodia about it, he explained that when people die here, they keep them in their apartment until the funeral. They take them straight from there to the graveyard. Freaky! They don't have morgues. Anyhow, we continued to walk around until we were about ready to go home, when I had a good feeling about the building in front of me and suggested we tract it. So Schwatrz and I did, while Volodia protested and didn't want to. So Schwartz and I tracted the first stairwell then after we were done, we began to make our way to the second when Volodia argued against us but we decided to go anyway. (Partly because we were getting sick of having him hang out with us all day, every day.) Which is something he does a lot. I feel guilty about it because he relies on us for food but we need to get our missionary work done too. He always says, "you know what I want... To eat!" The dude always wants to eat.

But anyway, we ended up tracting that stairwell and when we got to the top, the second door let us in. The wife answered and after we introduced ourselves she went to get her husband. He yelled from the other room to come on in! So we did, he asked if we were Christians, we said yes. I asked if he was Russian Orthodox. With a big smile on his face he said, "we're in Russia, I'm Russian, of course I'm Russian Orthodox!" That was cool. He was very nice and we talked for about an hour and then when we were leaving, he gave us a big jar of grape juice. Then he walked us home. His name is Nicholi. We are going back tomorrow to teach a first discussion and we are bringing our Russian Bible scholar Igor with us because Nicholi knows a lot about the Bible. He is very well read and has quite the library. He is retired and basically, has "nothing better to do."

Well that was my very interesting, fun, get ogled on a bus, tract, teach, totally awesome and yet still slacked off for most of the day, kind of day.
It's now midnight.
Good night!


Here are some pictures so far:
Ice skating activity with the members.




Seeing other missionaries off was a highlighted time for all. 

Culture night at the circus.


One of my favorite investigators. Alex was of royal decent in his tribe in Africa.

Sister Yulya Kuznetsova is the most amazing relief society president ever! She took it upon herself to wash and iron all of the local missionaries white shirts. 

Yulya Kuznetsova also fed us several times per week. She is such an amazing person!

This is the color of the water that comes out of the tap. This is how we had to wash our clothes. Needless to say, this is why clothes got a dingy gray color. And most likely why Sister Kuznetsova took it upon herself to wash our dress shirts for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment